Treasurer FAQs


If you have any questions please call us at (402) 762-3505.

  1. When are taxes due and delinquent?
    • Taxes for Real Estate and Personal Property are due Dec. 31st
    • 1st half becomes delinquent the following May 1st
    • 2nd half becomes delinquent the following September 1st
    • 14% statutory rate is charged on delinquencies
  2. When are tax notices mailed?
    • They are mailed about the 1st of December
  3. For the following questions call the Treasurer's Office at (402) 762-3505
    • What should I do if I don't receive a tax notice?
    • How much are my taxes?
    • Have my taxes been paid?
    • What do I do if I have a message on my tax statement that I don't understand?
    • I need to make an address change on taxes or motor vehicle.
  4. Do you accept credit cards?
    • Yes, we accept Discover, Mastercard, Visa and American Express. The vendor we use charges a fee of 2.5% for all transactions which in turn is charged to the customer
  5. When can I renew my driver’s license?
    • You may renew your expiring Nebraska license within 90 days (not 3 months) prior to the expiration date - you must see the examiner.  If you move to a new address you are required to update your Nebraska license within 60 days.  You must see the examiner to change your address or for any other changes.  You will need to bring identification and two forms of physical address verification. (list of acceptable proof in section 1C-1 of your driver’s manual)
    • All renewals and changes must be done through an examiner.
  6. What if I lost my driver’s license?
    • If you lost your Nebraska license you must see the Driver’s License Examiner to obtain a duplicate. You will need to bring two forms of physical address verification. (list of acceptable proof in section 1C-1 of your driver’s manual)   If you are out of state for an extended period of time you may obtain a duplicate license through the mail.  Call our office at 402-762-3505 for further information.
  7. When am I not allowed to renew my vehicle online?

    • Trucks registered for more than 27 tons
    • Those with no/expired insurance on DMV’s insurance database
    • Those that require special, manual processing by the Treasurer
    • Those with Dealer license plates
    • Those with Pearl Harbor Survivor license plates
    • Those with Amateur Radio license plates
    • Those that require special, manual processing by the Treasurer
      • change of information on your registration (ex: address or tonnage change)
  8. If I am driving with an expired tag, can I renew online?
    • Yes, you may renew your tags online, up to one year beyond the expiration date.  Nebraska does not have late fees associated with renewing license plates.
  9. Where do I get a Handicap Parking Permit?
    • Handicap Parking Permits may now be electronically filed from allowed health care providers.  The patient will  have the permit within one to two work days compared to the current average of one to three weeks.
    • Each handicapped person is eligible to hold two permits at one time.  Just note on the application “Please send two permits”.
  10. How do I apply for Specialty Plates?
    • Specialty plates are applied for to the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles.  Applications are available in our office and on the DMV website.   You may also check availability of your plate choices on the website.